Thursday, July 28, 2005

William Carlos Williams

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.



I decided everyone should be able to experience the joy and awesomeness of my favorite poem in the whole world. My students think it's stupid, but really, there's incredible meaning behind it . It's like a puzzle; you just have to break it apart and figure it out. Then you'll love it. So simple, so compact,and yet, so full--an English teacher's dream. Poetry like this makes everything remarkable. The challenge is writing your own "so much depends upon" parody. Seriously. It's hard, but fulfilling. Excitement.

11 Comments:

Blogger daniel said...

I like the challenge...but don't think I understand the poem apart from what's right in front of me. Like a puzzle makes me want to take it apart and rearrange it, but that doesn't get me anywhere.

So teach, how about some direction?

12:36 PM  
Blogger M said...

Ask yourself questions.

Picture the scene. Significant or insignificant?

So much depends upon......the big things or the little things??

We can talk about this tonight. :-)

3:39 PM  
Blogger M said...

LoL. Nice. I appreciate the effort. :-P

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much depends
upon

a late night
chat

filled with plain
words

after many trite
talks

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So much depends
upon

the quick shared
glance

from a familiar
eye

amongst the
crowd

6:42 PM  
Blogger M said...

Thank you. Those are beautiful, and I am not just saying that. They really struck a chord with me--the kind where I read them and just sat and pondered for a while. I love that. I would venture to say more than just myself can relate with these, so whomever you two "anonymousee"s are, thanks. We should write a book--_So Much Depends_ and just have a bunch of these. That'd be cool. :-P

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much depends
upon

a blonde bull
dozer

knocking walls
over

picking up
debris

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the woman in us
That makes us write--
Let us acknowledge it--
Men would be silent.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much depends
upon

long sleepless
nights

seemlessly unending
hallways

with bumpy
floors

7:56 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

so much depends
upon

wide empty
streets

wanting to remain
anonymous

a familiar
face

9:17 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

so much depends
upon

summer dry rocky
creekbeds

winding unending unexplored
waiting

yearing to find
me

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home